after making one for myself a month ago, i decided to make ipod cozies for my etsy shop & post a tutorial for those interested. this cozy is intended for the ipod classic, although could easily be reworked for many other models.
at least a 16” by 8” rectangle of any light cotton fabric
.25 skein of yarn
size 7 knitting needles
jumbo tapestry needle
1. cut a 3.5” by 10.5” rectangle (pocket) & 4” by 3” rectangle (tab)
2. fold and press (with iron on hottest setting) along indicated lines for both pocket & tab
- pocket – the back of the fabric will end up being the outside of the pocket, fold rectangle in half & fold each end down 1” with the back of the fabrics in.
- tab – fold in half vertically, then fold in each side a half inch, creating a 4” by 1” tri-fold. the front of the fabric should be facing out.
- pocket – stitch along side a & b, creating a .25” seam
- tab – sew along sides c & d, i did two stitches along each side
5. fold the loose end of the tab twice (.25” folds), creating a clean edge. sew over fold to secure.
knit shell (little rough of a tutorial, not a knitting pattern writer)
1. essentially you would like to end up with a tight knit rectangle measuring roughly 9.5” by 3.75”
2. i used size 7 knitting needles & with a wool acrylic yarn (4.5 st + 6 rows = 1” on size 8)
3. 64 - 16 k rows
4. when completed use the same color yarn & a tapestry needle to stitch up the sides. i like to start a the top left edge & work down then work up the second side.
1. slide pocket into the knit shell.
2. using a sewing needle & contrasting thread, secure the pocket by using horizontal stitches about .15” from the top of the fabric & .25” down on the knit shell.
- it's important that excess yarn is tucked down between the shell & pocket.
- after threading the needle, tie 2 ends with a triple knot. start the stitch from between the shell & pocket so that the ends will not be visible; finish the stitch the same way & tie off the thread.
if you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email or leave any comments. see more pics