our huge walk-in closet (along with our entire apartment) could have gone up in smoke last night - but thanks to my man's good sniffer and the seattle fire department, we made out with little to no property damage. i mean, we do have a huge hole in the ceiling of our closet, plaster all over the floors, and the contents of the closet all over our apartment.
a fuse had blown in our apartment, but in a weird way. it fizzled & popped - scary! after tripping it back to no luck we started investigating. bart went into the walk-in & smelled something burning (he's got a cold, how did he smell it?). we looked up & saw embers burning above our light fixture; our property manager was with us at this point too. after that we immediately called 911 & the fire department was there in about 3 minutes. there was a lot of commotion, but they were fantastic (look out capitol hill dept - you're getting cookies, lots of them). turns out the wiring had started a fire in the attic above our ceiling, & another 5-10 minutes without a call would have put our entire unit (maybe even top floor) in flames. we are so lucky & we've been feeling that way all day.
here is the point i'm trying to make...
amidst all of this, i never thought to grab any clothing to rescue. it puts perspective on what really matters. so next time you want to drop $100 on that sassy jacket - call up someone you love & get some good food.